the story of my life

>> Sunday, August 2, 2009

the other day as i was making my usual rounds on facebook, i came across a note my auntie recently posted. it's a poem written by portia nelson and every time i read it, it made more and more sense.


AUTOBIOGRAPHY IN FIVE SHORT CHAPTERS

by Portia Nelson


I

I walk down the street.

There is a deep hole in the sidewalk
I fall in.
I am lost ... I am helpless.
It isn't my fault.
It takes me forever to find a way out.

II

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place
but, it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

III

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I see it is there.
I still fall in ... it's a habit.
my eyes are open
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

IV

I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I walk around it.

V
I walk down another street.


my auntie commented on it saying, "i think i'm still stuck on chapter 3." i'm pretty sure that's the chapter i'm stuck on, too.

4 comments:

Holly August 2, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

It's terribly true, isn't it.

Liv Bambola August 2, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

This poem is strangely familiar. I've read it before & it's been applicable before.

We get there eventually, but it's never ending...

The jump between 3, 4 & 5 are the hardest steps...

Poppy August 7, 2009 at 10:14 PM  

This is such a lovely poem.

I am still on chapter two, unfortunately.

Islandia Lane August 12, 2009 at 7:31 AM  

Love this poem - wonderful find!

search me

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP