in the early hours of our independence

>> Saturday, July 4, 2009

today was filled with the usual frontierland park festivities, running into everyone and their mom, delicious food (of course some BBQ), and, my favorite, fireworks and the smoky haze they leave behind. my aunties and ma bundle up and sit a safe distance from the fireworks usually heading back inside before we even reach the grand finale.


being the most trustworthy of the cousins, i am given full power over my uncle's blow torch to light all the fireworks. it's really like a creative responsibility when you think about it. i organize them into tri-fectas and quadruple-fectas of medium sized explosions accented with bebe ones surrounding them. my uncles cheer for more while they puff on their cigars and my dad and i lead my cousins in interpretive sparkler dancing through the street in front of the house.

our stomachs stuffed with corn casserole, potato salad, ribs with meat that falls right off the bone, and desserts up the ying yang, how can you not love this holiday?

3 comments:

The Snarky Narwhal July 5, 2009 at 7:50 AM  

aw that sounds so lovely! I'm glad you had a interesting Independence Day!

Holly July 5, 2009 at 6:12 PM  

blow torch! gosh, i forget you don't live in the city. hehe. sparkler dancing sounds like something i should do before i die.

JAMIE July 5, 2009 at 11:54 PM  

yesss, fourth of july is my favorite. hope you had a good one, too, my pink apple friend =]

holls, come sparkler dance with me someday!! my uncle has a stash of them we've accumulated over the years and you need to experience the wonderfulness of them!!

search me

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP