sitting in the kitchen

>> Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Three generations of women before mine walked in and out of the kitchen. Each time lifting the lid off a pot, stirring whatever happened to be inside,

and bringing in the delicious smells of my favorite foods. Homemade rice and beans, sopes, enchiladas, and flautas all topped off with my grandma’s special chile, so green and bold it’s enough to make even the most adventurous eaters nervous.

My grandma who told me to always make sure I'm satisfied with what I've accomplished at the end of the day. "Don't worry about the money, mi'ja. We need to look out for the people. I know you will."

Three generations of women passing down recipes and tastes that make me proud to call myself the fourth.

3 comments:

Holly June 25, 2009 at 1:12 AM  

Oh gosh, flautas. Nomm...

I love hearing the way that all of you were in that room.

The Snarky Narwhal June 25, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

I learned how to cook from my mother and grandmother. The first thing I learned to cook was a scrambled egg.

I love how the house fills with odors from a meal. especially breakfast and bread smells ^. ^

JAMIE June 25, 2009 at 12:45 PM  

the first thing i learned how to cook was a scrambled egg, too!

holls- i loved how we were all in the kitchen. there were my little high school cousins and my sister running in and out, too. it was perfection.

search me

  © Free Blogger Templates Wild Birds by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP